Thinking about making a change? Whether your space needs refreshing or your needs have evolved, a home remodel is in order. To help you get started, we’ve put together a few Santa Barbara luxury estate remodeling ideas and tips. Have a look:
- Definitely consult a professional. Unless you have the necessary knowledge and experience – not to mention the time – then you should definitely get together with an expert as early on in the process as possible. A pro will not only be able to advise you on design and materials, but will also help you steer clear of potential money drains, and provide referrals to whichever contractors and craftspeople your project will need.
- Tackle the most-used room first. If you’re like most people, then this would be the kitchen. When you start rethinking your kitchen space, begin with the most basic thing – examine the layout and consider whether or not the flow works for you and whether you need to expand the space. Everything else – appliances, cabinet styles, countertop material, etc. – will be easier to plan once you have the right layout established.
- Don’t feel that you need to stick to just one design style. If your home is a Spanish Colonial, for example, while you’ll want the design to complement the architecture, you don’t need to go all-out and make your interiors look like they belong in the casa of a California family (not unless that’s what your aim is, of course). Rooms don’t necessarily need to have “themes” either – in fact, this can make them look dated fast.
- Don’t forget about the lighting. Sometimes the only update a space needs is better lighting that allows for more nuances and greater functionality.
- Think about energy efficiency. There are many ways to incorporate more energy efficient features into the design of anything from a bathroom to a pool. You can also opt to go for sustainably sourced materials.
- It’s your space. At the end of the day, you’re the one who’s going to be living in your house, so it’s your tastes and needs that should take precedence. Just remember to be clear on what these are and to communicate it to your designer or contractors.
Remodeling for Resale
Those who plan on putting up their houses for sale in Santa Barbara also sometimes opt to get some remodeling done so they can increase their asking price. According to Remodeling magazine’s 2013 Cost vs. Value Report, the upscale projects that provide the best return on investment are:
- Siding replacement
- Garage door replacement
- Window replacement
- Grand entrance update
- Major kitchen remodel
- Deck addition
- Bathroom remodel
- Roofing replacement
- Bathroom addition
- Garage addition
Making the Move
If your home is no longer the right fit for you and you don’t think remodeling is the answer, then it may be time you considered saying goodbye to the old and hello to the new. Browse the site to learn more about your options in Santa Barbara homes for sale and get in touch with me anytime if you need more insights on the area and the housing market here.