Every year, my customers who are selling their property in the upscale communities of Santa Barbara ask me how to romance potential homebuyers over the holidays. Experts suggest staging your home with some holiday cheer, but caution sellers not to go crazy decking the halls. Try staging your dining room table for a holiday dinner to help a potential buyer visualize their first Hanukah, Christmas or Kwanzaa hosted at their new home. Keep your holiday decor somewhat secular, ethnically neutral and impersonal. Trees, garlands, lights and bulbs are great – but pack your cherished family heirlooms. Just don’t decorate with anything that might interfere with the buyers’ ability to envision their own holidays in your home.
This year, I have some ideas for staging your home that will get buyers in the right spirit to invest.
- Clean and stage. Think less is more and utilize neutral colors.
- Create a cozy vibe. Set the stage with a pot of cider simmering on the stove and an evergreen wreath.
- Complement your palette. Make sure your decorations match your décor.
- Accentuate the positive. Don’t clutter rooms with festive “stuff” or block any amazing views.
- Go light on lights. Stay away from tacky. Just use single strings of lights.
- Be an equal-opportunity decorator. Just say no to life-sized Nativity scenes or anything too religious that may put off potential buyers.
- Mind the tree. Select the right size tree for your home.
- Clear the clutter. Remember, you still want your home to look spacious to potential buyers so don’t overdo. Just think that next year, you can pull out all the stops at your new abode!
If you want to find out how to romance potential homebuyers at any time of the year, please stay up to date with my blog where I share all the information you need to know whether you are selling or buying your home in Montecito or any of the surrounding upscale communities. Check out the listings on my website and please give me a call at 805.886.9378 or email me at Cristal@montecito-estate.com, and be sure to check out my website and please LIKE me on Facebook