Follow these 8 steps to lighten up, cozy up and get organized in 2016
I always like to make a fresh start in the New Year by following my January home to-do list. This year, I am sharing how I lighten up, cozy up and get organized:
1) Refresh your kitchen and pantry. Kick off your New Year’s resolution to eat healthy by giving your kitchen and pantry a thorough cleaning.
2) Increase light. During the winter months, it’s important to do what you can to increase the light in your living space by pulling open window coverings during the day, adding lamps and candles, and lighting a fire in the fireplace. This is especially important here in California where El Nino is coming!
3) Clear the clutter. De-cluttering can be good for the soul! You probably accumulated some new things over the holidays so take the time to clear out the clothes, books and other items you have not used for the past year.
4) Create more coziness. Adding a few super soft and cozy accents around the house can make you feel great in any weather. Think velvet cushions, fluffy faux-fur throws, knitted poufs, candles, fresh flowers or a new teapot.
5) Organize your papers and digital documents. This may not be the most glamorous task but we all must organize our papers and digital documents. What better time of year than now to do so. I guarantee you’ll feel good when it’s done.
6) Give kids’ an indoor space. This is especially important here in an El Nino year. Kids need an appealing indoor space to play. Consider adding a chalkboard or whiteboard wall, an area for messy art and/or tumbling mats.
7) Exterior landscape upkeep. With the coming storms, it is important to check your exterior landscape and clean up anything that might cause a problem.
8) Decorating and remodeling projects. Plan your decorating or remodeling projects ahead of time.
For more details regarding your January home to-do list, check out this article in Houzz, one of my favorite go-to sites for anything regarding design. If moving to, or within Montecito, Santa Barbara, Hope Ranch, Summerland or Carpinteria is on your to-do list in 2016, give me a call at 805.886.9378 or email me at Cristal@montecito-estate.com. With more than 25 years of experience in the area, I am the preferred choice when it comes to real estate transactions in this part of the world.