If you are considering a rooftop solar system, there are 4 things you need to keep in mind. In the last 10 years, homes with rooftop solar systems have become practically commonplace, especially in Santa Barbara and the surrounding communities.
By now, we’ve all heard that the idea of owning a green home is very important to both buyers and sellers. Did you know that the technology has been available for decades? In fact, NASA has been using solar-powered satellites since the 60s while U.S. homes have utilized passive solar heating systems as far back as World War II.
The benefits of solar energy are obvious:
- Energy from the sun is endless (at least for the next 5 billion years, give or take)
- It provides clean energy with no greenhouse-gas emissions
- With the rising cost of fuel, it can save people money on their electric bills
Here are 4 things to keep in mind when considering a rooftop solar system:
1) Do you have to do anything to the solar panels once they’re up there on your roof? Powering your home using solar energy does require more maintenance than using the regular old grid power. But not much. Once a week maintenance should be sufficient.
2) Will already existing towering shade trees and tall, shadow-casting buildings be a problem? The key element here is sunlight.
3) How much sunlight reaches ground level in your area? This should not be a problem in our neck of the woods.
4)The size of a solar-power installation has nothing to do with the size of the house it’s powering. It is much more complicated than that. A certified solar expert can explain more.
If you are considering a solar rooftop system in Montecito, Hope Ranch or Santa Barbara, use this link to research accredited companies that can help you. In the meantime, please give me a call at 805.886.9378 or email me at Cristal@montecito-estate.com and be sure to check out my website to see what’s on the market today.